Friday, November 8, 2013

Business Etiquette for Aspies


Shared from Repent:

“I tend to prefer one to one communication a work. In small meetings, I follow the rule that if there are 3 people- each person should talk about a 1/3 of the time, 4 people each person about 1/4 of the time, ect.
In larger formal meetings I'm lost. I don't know how to act in formal settings. In a recent staff meeting the boss got up and started speaking to the group. He was very formal, and other co-workers started acting 'different', I can't explain better. After a few minutes he said several things about me and my job that I didn't agree with, so, I interrupted him to correct him on the inaccuracies. I could 'feel' the other workers stare at me as I must have broken some 'invisible' rule about boardroom etiquette. In retrospect, I think I should just have let the boss talk and present without interruption, even though he was wrong.
It’s completely different from a person to person conversation, or an informal meeting of a few people. I haven't got a clue how to behave in a formal meeting? The boss then dismissed me from the meeting, and carried the meeting on with the rest of the staff. I was angry about being 'shut out', what could the boss say to the rest of the staff that he couldn't say with me present? I was fuming for the balance of the work day.
One on one with the boss I'm fine. Even informal meetings just in the office or in the hall way with my co-workers and the boss are fine. The formal boardroom meeting style is different and unfortunately beyond my comprehension? I can't pickup up on sublety, I often miss body movement, or other clues that other people can pickup up on.”

Wait until the other person finishes speaking before you reply or comment. That is good etiquette in any setting but is doubly important in a formal setting with a boss or executive. He called the meeting so he decides who and when people speak.


Responsed from AsPartOfMe:
“I would apologize to him. I would also say it was your first time in this type of meeting. Most NT's will be sympathetic if they understand your lack of experience and will try to explain things to you. This is called disclosing symptoms


BUSINESS MEETING ETIQUETTE
My presentation was adapted from:
http://www.articlesbase.com/leadership-articles/the-eight-ps-of-office-meeting-protocol-1130083.html



'Aspartofme' thanks for the link- 

I broke all of the rules laid out in the formal business meeting description it laid out. I will apologise to the boss and hope for the best. 'Aspartofme' thanks for the link- 

I broke all of the rules laid out in the formal business meeting description it laid out. I will apologise to the boss and hope for the best. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment